Writing every day for 365 days, I’ve learned to be a better manager.
What does management mean? If it means doing things right, then writing daily definitely improved my management skills.
To prevent no-writing days, I’ve sometimes prepared drafts in advance. Or recorded my voice, or recorded a meeting or a webinar or a family dinner. (Be aware next time we meet).
If my writing is about the daily retrospective on the past day, reflecting on what I did and how I did it, I am indeed raising my self-awareness.
More so, if I plan for the next day or the next week or, if you want to be philosophical, for the next decade, I am managing my life and my resources more intentionally.
The only act of thinking about the future, intentionally, systematically, critically, made me a better manager.
Manager of what? My life, my relationships, my job, my clients, my studies.
How and how much? Not easy to measure, but I can say I make fewer stupid mistakes, like missing due dates or forgetting fundamental notions.
Write daily, reflect on your day, and plan your tomorrows. You will become a better manager in any field of your life, personal and professional.
This is Essay 24 of 30 in the my challenge One Year Writing: 30 Lessons Learned in 30 Days
- The Journey is the Purpose (16 Nov 2020)
- Writing is Thinking (17 Nov 2020)
- Write a Lot to Write Well (18 Nov 2020)
- Creative Loneliness (19 Nov 2020)
- Be Less Ambitious, Be More Consistent (20 Nov 2020)
- Writing builds your networks (21 Nov 2020)
- Connect ideas now (22 Nov 2020)
- Writing improves your memory (23 Nov 2020)
- Writing makes you a better observer (24 Nov 2020)
- Writing sets the focus on yourself (25 Nov 2020)
- Dissolve your distractions (26 Nov 2020)
- Writing reduces your jargon and slang (27 Nov 2020)
- Walking generates ideas (28 Nov 2020)
- Writing is like drinking coffee (29 Nov 2020)
- Creativity makes you happy (30 Nov 2020)
- Be smart, let it go (1 Dec 2020)
- Writing is a process (2 Dec 2020)
- Automate repetitive tasks (3 Dec 2020)
- Publish text as digital text, not images (4 Dec 2020)
- Why asking questions? (5 Dec 2020)
- Facilitate growth by tracking habits (6 Dec 2020)
- Type more, type faster, type better (7 Dec 2020)
- Transcribe your thoughts to become an effective communicator (8 Dec 2020)
- Write daily to become a better manager (9 Dec 2020)
- Do it small to do it better (10 Dec 2020)
- Don’t lose your mind. Back it up (11 Dec 2020)
- Write daily to enhance your reality (12 Dec 2020)
- If only I could be ten, again (13 Dec 2020)
- Writing compounds despite everything (14 Dec 2020)
- The habit of building habits (15 Dec 2020)